SRP Travel Award Policy
The Scholarly Research Project (SRP) program offers Travel Awards to provide financial assistance and recognition to currently enrolled medical students at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (UPSOM). Students who are the presenting author on a paper or poster related to their SRP work are eligible to receive an SRP Travel Award. SRP Travel Awards can be used for lodging, transportation and conference-specific expenses for up to $500 and are only given once during a student’s enrollment at the UPSOM. Students are directed to the University of Pittsburgh policies for allowable travel expenses (www.pts.pitt.edu/travel), which will be followed for the SRP Travel Awards. An applicant attending an event in Allegheny County is eligible only to receive reimbursement for registration.
Students who receive an SRP Travel Award will be required to present a poster at the annual Scholar’s Day during their MS4 year, and the UPSOM SRP Program must be acknowledged for support in the presentation (oral or poster).
The SRP Directors will grant Travel Awards on a competitive basis after review. Students will be notified of the status of their application within 2 weeks of submission. Travel Award applications are accepted throughout the year but MUST be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the conference. We recommend that students consider submitting travel fund requests to the UPSOM Medical Student Alumni Association (MAA), since they often can provide more funds for travel than the maximum $500 allowed by SRP Travel Awards. Please see below for list of all travel award opportunities at the University of Pittsburgh.
Please submit the following documents via email to Ms. Pamela Harlow (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Proof of Participation: if you are giving an oral or poster presentation, you must submit proof that your work has been accepted at the conference and a copy of the abstract.
- Mentor Letter: please obtain a letter from your mentor stating:
- his/her acknowledgement for this travel award application
- that he/she has reviewed the application
- Other Support Received or Pending
Please list all other agencies and organizations (including from the University of Pittsburgh) from whom you have received or applied for financial support to defray costs for conference attendance and travel. Indicate the amount of the travel award (received or pending) and the total cost allowable travel expenses (see above)
- Documentation of Estimated Expenses
- Registration – documentation can be the website listing registration or an email listing registration. If you already registered, you can also send your receipt.
- Lodging – documentation can be hotel website listing room rates or the conference website listing room rates. If you already made a reservation, you can also send your receipt.
- Travel – Plane/Bus/Train – documentation can be a printout from an online travel search engine (e.g. Expedia or Orbitz), an email from a travel agent with a quote, or a ticketing website showing ticket prices for the source/destination in question. If you already bought your ticket, you can also send your receipt.
- Travel – Car – if using your own car, documentation should include estimated mileage between source and destination (such as from MapQuest or Google Maps). If you are renting a car, you should also include an estimate or rental expenses and provide proof from their website
No payment can be made prior to your completion of travel. Once your travel to the meeting is complete, please submit the required receipts in .pdf form (no pictures will be accepted) to Pamela Harlow (email@example.com). All receipts must show the student name that has requested the funds.
Other Travel Grant Opportunities at the University of Pittsburgh
- MAA Travel Fund and Scholarship http://maa.pitt.edu/students
- Graduate and Professional School Student Government ($500 maximum) http://gpsg.pitt.edu/services/travelfunding#step1
- UPSOM Student Executive Council ($200 maximum) https://groups.medschool.pitt.edu/sec/