SRP Travel Award Policy
(Effective January 15, 2015)
The Scholarly Research Project (SRP) program offers Travel Awards to provide financial assistance and recognition to currently enrolled medical students at the UPSOM. Students who are the presenting author on a paper or poster related to their SRP work are eligible to receive an SRP Travel Award. Travel Awards can be up to $500 and only given once during a student’s enrollment at the UPSOM. An applicant attending an event in Allegheny County is eligible only to receive reimbursement for registration and allowable food expenses. SRP travel awards can be used for lodging, transportation, allowable food expenses and conference-specific expenses. Students are directed to the University of Pittsburgh policies for allowable travel expenses (www.pts.pitt.edu/travel), which will be followed for the SP Travel Awards.
Students who receive an SRP Travel Award will be required to present a poster at the annual Scholar’s Day during the MS4 year.
The SRP Directors will grant Travel Awards on a competitive basis after review. Students will be notified of the status of their application within 2 weeks of the deadline. Travel Award applications will be accepted six times/year on deadlines indicated below.
Timeline for Submitting Travel Awards (for any given year)
|If your conference starts between:||Apply Before:|
|July 1 – August 31||May 15|
|September 1 – October 31||July 15|
|November 1 – December 31||September 15|
|January 1 – February 29||November 15|
|March 1 – April 30||January 15|
|May 1 – June 30||March 15|
Please submit the following documents via email to Ms. Pamela Harlow (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Proof of Participation
If you are giving an oral or poster presentation, you must submit proof that your work has been accepted at the conference and a copy of the abstract.
- Mentor Letter Please obtain a letter from your mentor stating:
- his/her acknowledgement for this travel award application
- that he/she has reviewed the application
- Documentation of Estimated Expenses
- Registration — Documentation can be the website listing registration or an email listing registration. If you already registered, you can also send your receipt.
- Lodging – Documentation can be hotel website listing room rates or the conference website listing room rates. If you already made a reservation, you can also send your receipt.
- Travel- Flying/Bus/Train — Documentation can be a printout from an online travel search engine (e.g. Expedia or Orbitz), an email from a travel agent with a quote, or a ticketing website showing ticket prices for the source/destination in question. If you already bought your ticket, you can also send your receipt.
- Travel – Car — Documentation should include estimated mileage between source and destination (such as from MapQuest or Google Maps). If you are renting a car, you should also include an estimate or rental expenses and provide proof from their website.
- Food – University of Pittsburgh policies for daily allowable food expenses (www.pts.pitt.edu/travel) will be followed.
- The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Scholarly Research Project Program must be acknowledged for support in the presentation (oral or poster). Other Travel Grant Opportunities at the University of Pittsburghhttp://gpsg.pitt.edu/services/travelfunding#step12. UPSOM Student Executive Council ($250 maximum)
- 1. Graduate and Professional School Student Government ($500 maximum)
- Travel Award will only be given once conference travel is completed. No travel advances can be made. Once your travel to the meeting is complete, please submit the required receipts to Ms. Pamela Harlow, 533 Scaife Hall.